Thursday, August 31, 2006

Swing and a Long-Held Grudge

Tonight Ryan Howard hit his 49th home run of the season. In doing so, Howard set a new single-season home run record for the Philadelphia Phillies, surpassing Mike Schmidt's 48 home runs in 1980.

Michael Jack Schmidt was the Phillies' starting third baseman for more than 16 seasons. He was a 3-time MVP, 12-time All-Star and was the World Series MVP for the Phillies one-and-only championship in 1980. He won 10 Gold Gloves and 8 home run titles. When he retired in 1989, he was seventh on the all-time home run list with 548.

As a young boy growing up in suburban Philadelphia, Schmitty was my childhood hero. I collected Mike Schmidt's baseball cards. My favorite number was 20 (his jersey number). I wished I could grow as moustache. I watched Phillies games just so I could wait for him to come to bat. Every kid on my little league team imitated Schmidt's batting stance (and trademark butt-wiggle). And we argued about who would win in a fist fight: Mike Schmidt or Superman (Answer: Mike Schmidt).

In April 1987, Michael Jack hit his 500th home run at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh. It was a huge milestone in Philadelphia sports history. The day he hit it, my brother Jason and I were at home watching the game on TV. In the 6th inning, the Phillies were losing and our mother dragged us out of the house to go buy shoes. My brother's Bar Mitzvah was coming up and I guess shoes were a higher priority. After picking out just the right pair of junior wingtips, we returned to the car and tuned in the game on the radio. Andy Musser and Chris Wheeler, the Phils' radio broadcasters, were talking excitedly describing the big moment that had just happened. Schmitty had hit number 500. Not only that, it was a game winning shot. It was one of the biggest moments in my hero's career and I was in a shoe store.

To celebrate Schmidt's accomplishment, a commemorative video was released fittingly called "That Ball's Outta Here: The Mike Schmidt Story." It followed Schmidt through the first part of the season as he chased the 500 mark. It showed him on the phone with his wife, fielding questions from the press at his locker and taking extra BP before games. The first time I watched the video, at the moment when they show Schmidt silently swinging in slow motion, connecting for the historic blast, I started to cry. I still get choked up just thinking about that scene. Watching the video was the closest I would come to reliving that moment. Did I mention I was in a shoe store at the time?

When the video went on sale, Schmitty was scheduled to make an appearance at our local video store to autograph copies. I begged my mother to take me along. I had never gotten a chance to meet my hero in person. Here was her chance to make-up for the shoe fiasco. After much pleading, my mother decided I would stay in school that day. I wouldn't be meeting my idol.

My mother still went on her own to the video store. When I got home from school that day, she talked about what it was like to meet him -- how broad his shoulders were and how he seemed so tall even while sitting down. From a bag she pulled out the commemorative video she'd gotten him to sign. In dark, bold writing, it read "To Jason, Happy Birthday. Mike Schmidt." My brother's birthday was coming up soon and my mother had thoughtfully gotten him a personalized autograph. I thought it was so cool that Mike Schmidt knew it was my brother's birthday. I couldn't wait to see my personalized copy of the video, too.

This may come as a surprise, but there was no personalized autograph for me. There was only one copy of the video and it had my brother's stupid name scribbled all over it. My mom said not to worry. She had also managed to get him to autograph a small 4x6 photograph she'd taken of him at a Fuji Film Photo Night at Veterans Stadium a couple years earlier. Wow. I couldn't wait to put it on display in my room.

It was then explained to me that the small autographed photo was to remain inside the video's box, which conveniently lived in a cupboard in my brother's room. I was not allowed to have it.

From time to time, I would go into my brother's room, take out the video and peek at the small autographed photo inside. It reminded me of my mother's own story about her father's Babe Ruth autograph. As a young girl, she would go into her father's desk and pull out an old program with the Babe's signature on the cover. But someone else in the family had made off with it. To this day, she doesn't know where it is.

A few years ago, when I was visiting my parent's house, I went into my brother's old room and for old times sake took out the video. The autographed photo slipped out of the box and fell into my lap. I looked at it for a moment, placed it on the bed and put the video away. I carefully slid the photo into an envelope and put it in my suitcase. The next day, I left with the autograph quietly tucked away. No one in my family would realize it was gone until they came to my home years later and saw it on display, in a frame, being enjoyed.

I've met and had meaningful encounters with a fair share of famous people in my life -- from Bill Cosby to Cal Ripken, Jr. But I don't ask for autographs. Autographs are for kids. Rather than asking people to scribble their name on a piece of paper, I prefer to strike up a dialogue. In my opinion, it makes for a far more memorable connection. How can someone have any respect for you if the first thing you do is ask them to write their name down? But because I've never had personal contact with my boyhood hero, Schmidt's autograph is the only thing I have.

So to my family members that would like the autograph back, I'd like to remind you of the 10-year old boy wiggling his butt and swinging a wiffleball bat in the middle of the living room. If you really want the autograph back, I suggest you schedule a personal audience for me and Michael Jack. Then I will gladly give up the photo. Until then, happy shoe shopping.

6 comments:

Jammer said...

I've also never forgiven our mother for the shoe fiasco. But you fail to point out -- as I'm sure you noticed -- the signature on the VHS box is almost totally faded away. The box has the sort of glossy finish that just doesn't hold ink very well. So, your copy is now the only one of any value. (Also, since the tape box signature is personalized, it would be worthless even if it was not faded.)

As long as the photo is still in the family and is being properly, displayed, I don't really mind. But it would've been nice if you'd asked before taking it.

Instant E*Thos said...

Yeah, ask permission just like I did to stay home and watch the game, go to meet him in person or keep the autograph in my room. I think you miss my point...

I don't recall the signature on the video being faded. That's really a shame. But if you're worried about how that affects the autograph's "value" are you referring to monetary value? Does this imply that you're keeping the video with the idea to sell it?

I would never sell any of my Mike Schmidt baseball cards or his autograph. That's not why I value them. They'll be passed down to my son (for him to sell if he doesn't ruin them first). Besides, a quick memorabelia search online will show that you can buy a sealed autographed copy of "That Ball's Outta Here" for about $35 (plus shipping and handling). And similar small autographed photos often sell for even less. So let's not delude ourselves as to their actual "value."

Perhaps we could leave our mother to settle the disbute. In the spirit of Solomon she could threaten to tear the autographed photo in half to see who wanted it more. She'd probably then tear it half anyway just for spite.

Jammer said...

I see your point. I think our mother just really wanted the photo for herself. If that was the case, she should have just gotten a frame for it and hung it on a wall of the house somewhere.

But this discussion reminds me of another similar incident involving memorabila. When it was announced the Vet Stadium seats were going up for sale and season ticket holders (such as our parents) had the first shot at them, I told Mom to go ahead and order me a pair. I told her I'd pay her back when it came time to pick them up.

The next thing I know, she's brought a pair home and announced they were hers. To this day, she claims I never asked her to get a pair for me.

Maybe one day, she'll come over my house and find them sitting in my living room... next to a framed photograph of a certain Hall Of Fame 3rd baseman.

Anonymous said...

I am reading this dialogue laughing so hard tears are rolling down my face. Who knew Schmitty would hit his 500th that day. Most of my life is about bad timing anyway. The truth about the video store is that it was all the way across town near the school in which I was teaching.
And if you don't stop "dissing" your mother, the only thing you will get in my will are those two Vet Stadium seats and a blow torch to split them apart.

Anonymous said...

I guess this long held grudge means that you will pick a terrible nursing home one day. But if you want the Vet seats......

Jammer said...

I hope the tears rolling down your face were not tears of despair. You weren't that terrible of a mother. Afterall, you did take me out of school early to go see that Phillies-Dodgers playoff game in 1983. (Of course, you did leave my brother in school that day... but you were able to make it up to him by taking him to another playoff game a scant ten years later.)

But I do know one thing: In 2018, when Ryan Howard is on the verge of hitting his 500th home run, I won't be out with my kids buying shoes.